Posted some new sketches on Fine Art America - they are a series of pencil sketches I created a while ago.  I had an opportunity to go up to the 5th floor of the Museum of Natural History.  It was pretty awesome for a dino-geek like myself!  While I was there I busted out the ol' sketchbook and went to work.

paul-gioacchini.artistwebsites.com

One of the pieces is entitled, "Sketch of Jane's Skull."  This one is actually a direct observational sketch from a different outing.  A while back I did some work for the Burpee Museum of Natural history(*). My dad and I flew out there to attend their annual scientific conference which they hold every year: "Paleofest."  Nothing but dinosaurs for the entire weekend... I was in heaven.

Of course, I brought a few sketchbooks with me.  I had to draw Jane.  Jane is quite famous among rockhounds and boneheads.  She had been on tour for a while, but I got to sketch her while I was there.
For those of you who don't know Jane, she is one of the most complete juvenile T-rex skeletons ever found.

She's a big deal.

People know her.

She has many leather-bound books  and her apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Each of the sketches in done in graphite and digitally imposed over a textured background for effect.


I haven't sketched like this in a while... need to get back to it.

[* My wife, my father and my cousin and I all went out on a paleontology dig in the badlands of Montana with the good people from Burpee... it was awesome!  Found some large therapod leg bones, most likely from a T-rex! I highly recommend it if you get the chance!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog